- This event has passed.
Teacher Webinar: Part I – Holocaust By Bullets in Central and Eastern Europe
Thursday, January 20 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Location: ZOOM Online
Facilitator: Ewa Schaller and Todd Hennessy, Yahad - In Unum
- This is a 2-part webinar:
Part I: Holocaust by Bullets in Central and Eastern Europe / January 20
Part II: It Happened in a Village of Eastern Europe: A Case Study / March 10
- Attendance at Part I is a pre-requisite for Part II. Please do NOT sign up for Part II only.
- A separate registration is required for each Part of the webinar.
- This webinar will NOT be recorded, and attendees will only receive resource materials for the Session(s) that they attend.
- Registration for teachers in Alabama and Georgia will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
Most students learn about the concentration camps and killing centers of the Holocaust, but few are aware that more than 1/3 of the 6 million Jews who were murdered between 1941 and 1944 were slaughtered in mass shootings perpetrated by specialized Nazi units, the , and buried in mass graves spread all over Eastern Europe. These executions were carried out
publicly, before the eyes of the villagers. These direct witnesses to the shootings, children and teenagers at the time, are now speaking, sometimes for the first time, about the massacres that they had seen.
Yahad—In Unum (“Together in One”), a Paris-based non-profit organization established in 2004 by Father Patrick Desbois and
dedicated to systematically identifying and documenting sites of mass executions of Jews and Roma in Eastern Europe, has
conducted 195 investigative trips to 11 Eastern European countries as of 2021. Yahad’s teams have identified over 3,100
extermination sites and collected 7,500 recorded testimonies from eyewitnesses of these crimes. This is by far the most extensive collection of eyewitness testimony documenting the “Holocaust by Bullets” in the world.
During the Webinar You Will
- Be introduced to the history of the “Holocaust by Bullets”
- Learn about Yahad—In Unum’s investigative methodology
- Examine an excerpt from an eyewitness testimony and learn how to use this to enhance student critical thinking skills
- Analyze the five steps of the crime typical of nearly every mass-shooting perpetrated by the Einsatzgruppen
- Learn to access and use Yahad—In Unum’s educational tools
After the Webinar You Will Receive
- 18-page handout containing a summary of the information provided during the webinar
- List of useful links, including the link to Yahad—In Unum’s Study Guide for Educators
- List of recommended ready-to-use activities
- 2 hours CEU credits through PowerSchool (AL Teachers)
- Certificate of attendance
Please view the following videos prior to attending the first session: